Friday, July 20, 2012

Princess Butterfly: A Poem for Grandma


I had a whole blog posting written about a butterfly that Zoey found and how I used the experience to teach her about death and dying.  I began writing it before my Grandma passed away.  After she died I wrote a poem on the same topic.  I read it at her Funeral (through teary eyes and in a shaky voice by the end).  I decided the poem should be my posting for this week instead.  It's a more succinct and concise portrait of what I had been trying to get across anyway.  
Princess Butterfly:  A Poem for Grandma
One day Joe and Zoey brought home
a beautiful Monarch butterfly. 
When I saw the butterfly was still alive,
I felt we needed to be outside in nature,
where it belonged.  We named her Princess
Butterfly and put her on our balcony.
I thought she would fly away but she couldn’t.
We watched as she tried to flap her wings
and cheered her on, but a broken wing 
can’t carry you very far.  
The next morning Princess Butterfly
was still, her wings flat.  We brought her downstairs,
dug a hole in the ground, placed her softly  
in the dirt and covered her.  We each said something
we liked about her and blew a kiss up to the sky.
I often use our experience with the butterfly
to help explain dying and death to Zoey.
It’s a difficult idea to grasp at such a young
age that something is gone forever.  
That while you might see another butterfly
that looks exactly the same, 
the one you loved can’t be replaced.   
I thought of Princess Butterfly 
as I squeezed your hand, Grandma,
kissed your forehead, told you to rest and that
I loved you, it was difficult for me to grasp
and believe it would be the last time I would see you.
When Zoey asked me if you were going 
to get better, I told her you weren’t.  
I explained that you were like Princess Butterfly.  
I said that maybe you and Princess 
Butterfly would meet up in Heaven. 
I said maybe you two would fly together.
Zoey giggled and said, “But Great Grandma
can’t fly!”  I replied “Maybe up in Heaven she can.”
  
  
Zoey with her Great Grandma
Hunter with his Great Grandma




 I hope you are at peace now Grandma.  

No comments:

Post a Comment